Sunday, January 4, 2009

Riley Caton

Twenty-one years ago, when I was a volunteer firefighter/photographer for the Gresham Fire Department, I had the opportunity to meet Riley Caton. Riley was a lieutenant with the department and semi-professional photographer. He took me under his wing for a few short months and taught me a wealth of information helping me grow significantly as a fledgling photographer - many lessons that I still use today.

For a number of reasons, including me heading off to Oregon State University, we went in our own directions. Similar to me, life led Riley temporarily away from photography for several years as he faced the necessity and opportunity to climb the ranks of the department to fire chief.

I happened to Google him about a month ago, found his website (Caton Photo), and emailed him. This afternoon, Riley, his wife, Karen, and I finally had the opportunity to meet for coffee. Our meeting was wonderful! He is still a very gracious man, willing to share every bit of his wealth of knowledge. Our two hour meeting literally flew by.

Thank you, Riley and Karen, for a delightful afternoon. I look forward to our renewed friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment